Saturday 16 March 2013

Life Goes On

Since I last wrote on my Chicken Diary, things have been going along as usual in the hen house.
The other hens don't seem to notice that Didee is missing and have continued to enjoy their little lives scratching, pecking, and inspecting everything that is new.  Our three remaining hens have been travelling around together as a flock of 3.  It is so nice to see their togetherness.
I am getting used to the idea that Didee is gone and spending time with the other hens does cheer me up.  I took a few feathers from her and have put them aside safely.  I saw another blogger named Tammy had a photo of cooking a recipe on her blog, and in the background there was a framed picture of a feather with a hen's name above it.  This looks like a lovely idea to memorialise my first ever hen to leave us.  So maybe I'll do that some time in the future, but not just now.

In the meantime...

We are measuring our vegetable beds so that we can buy some netting to protect them from the hens.  They just love anything that is new and bright green!  We let them out of the pen whilst we were in the garden.  They are so sweet, they follow us around a lot.  We find logs and stones to turn over so that they can spot any slugs or grubs to gobble down.  They must follow us with hope in their little hearts that we will show them a tasty treat.  Rosie our other bantam blue Orpington is bonding a lot more with the other two hens now that her sister is gone.  Such a sweet little flock we have.  Bizzy Lizzy is so keen to get to fresh greens that she pokes her entire head and neck through the netting to get at the green grass on the other side. 

Eggs

Bizzy Lizzy our bantam Scots Dumpy has been laying every second day, and on the alternate days our black bantam Australorp Matilda lays.  Then at the end of the week they surprised us by laying on the same day, so we got two eggs.
Rosie still hasn't given us any eggs, it's been nearly two weeks now.  I do hope she will come back into lay.  I wonder if giving her the bath stressed her out too much and caused her to stop laying?

1 comment:

  1. You know I actually framed that feather of Buttercup last summer and she did pass away last December, so I had it displayed before she left me. But now that she's gone, I'm definitely keeping it up as a reminder of my sweet girl.

    I'm glad you are able to spend time with your other girls right now. I find that always helps me when I have a loss. They always know how to cheer us up :)

    I think it is possible that a bath may have interrupted Rosie's laying schedule. I don't know that it would cause her to stop laying for 2 weeks, though. Sometimes mine just take random breaks for no reason at all. I think she will start back up again soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your messages. I usually reply via email but if you are a "no reply" commenter then I will happily reply here.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog!